|SUNBURY PRESS – Bestsellers for April 2019 (by Revenue)|
|1||NEW||Undoing Jane Doe||Kristen Cunnane||Abuse Memoir|
|2||—||Jonathan’s Rainbow||EJ Benner||Family Memoir|
|3||3||Making a Difference||Joe Regenbogen||Biography|
|4||1||Well-behaved Taverns Seldom Make History||Diane McCormick||History|
|5||5||The Foreman’s Boys||William Marcum||History|
|6||—||A Super Steelers Journey||Merrill Shaffer||Football|
|7||NEW||Baseball Under the Palms||Sam Zygner||Baseball|
|8||6||The 1932 Yankees||Ronald Mayer||Baseball|
|9||—||Graves of Our Founders v1||Farrell, Farley, & Knorr||Biography|
|11||—||Trumpet Call to Victory||Joe Farley||Basketball|
|12||10||The Descendants of Johann Peter Klinger …||Max Klinger||Genealogy|
|13||22||Captain Hooter’s Guide to Amsterdam Coffeeshops||Captain Hooter||Travel|
|14||13||Keeping the Lights on For Ike||Rebecca Daniels||History|
|15||4||Amelia Earhart: The Truth at Last, 2nd Ed.||Mike Campbell||History|
|16||—||History of Lykens Township v2||Gratz Historical Society||History|
|17||—||Indian Villages and Place Names in Pennsylvania||George Donehoo||History|
|18||26||Fifty Years in a Foxhole||Charles Kniffen||Military Memoir|
|19||7||Call Sign Dracula||Joe Fair||Military Memoir|
|20||8||Chicken Bone Beach||Cheryl Woodruff-Brooks||History|
|21||12||The Marines’ Lost Squadron: The Odyssey of VMF-422||Mark Carlson||Aviation History|
|22||15||The Most Hated Man in America: Jerry Sandusky and the Rush to Judgment||Mark Pendergrast||Legal History|
|23||—||Code Calm in the Streets||Mike Asken||Professional|
|24||9||Gettysburg Eddie||Lawrence Knorr||Baseball|
|25||17||Scorched Earth||John L Moore||History|
|26||23||Bows, Bullets, & Bears||John L Moore||History|
|27||—||Mere Catholicism||Dan Agatino||Religion|
|28||28||Warriors, Wampum, and Wolves||John L Moore||History|
|29||18||Dreams of My Comrades||Scott Zuckerman||Military Memoir|
|30||—||Settlers, Soldiers, and Scalps||John L Moore||History|
|MILFORD HOUSE PRESS – Bestsellers for April 2019 (by Revenue)|
|1||NEW||H_NGM_N||JC Gatlin||Murder Mystery|
|2||NEW||When the Numbers Don’t Add Up||Patty Bialak||Detective Thriller|
|3||NEW||Till We Have Built Jerusalem||Alan Craven||Historical|
|4||NEW||The Osiris Contingency||Virginia Soenksen||Dystopian Thriller|
|5||7||The Sign of the Eagle||Jess Stephen Hughes||Historical|
|6||11||Dead of Summer||Sherry Knowlton||Murder Mystery|
|7||3||Dead of Winter||Sherry Knowlton||Murder Mystery|
|8||NEW||Traces of the Past||Steve Laracy||Detective Thriller|
|9||—||The Sea Is a Thief||David Parmelee||Historical|
|10||1||The Vatican’s Vault||Barry Libin||Detective Thriller|
|11||8||Dead of Autumn||Sherry Knowlton||Murder Mystery|
|12||—||The Peace Keeper||Jess Stephen Hughes||Historical|
|13||12||Dead of Spring||Sherry Knowlton||Murder Mystery|
|14||—||Miss Feezenschneezin Is Ill||David Parmelee||YA Humor|
|15||—||The Broken Lance||Jess Stephen Hughes||Historical|
|16||5||The Wolf of Britannia part 1||Jess Stephen Hughes||Historical|
|17||4||Emeralds of the Alhambra||John Cressler||Historical|
|18||15||Atonement||Kyle Alexander Romines||Western|
|19||—||Death Knell of the Caliphate||Scot McCauley||Spy Thriller|
|20||2||Where Elephants Fought||Bridget Smith||Historical|
|HELLBENDER BOOKS – Bestsellers for April 2019 (by Revenue)|
|1||NEW||Whisper Music||JB Toner||Supernatural Thriller|
|2||2||The Keeper of the Crows||Kyle Alexander Romines||Supernatural Thriller|
|3||—||The Devil Tree||Keith Rommel||Supernatural Thriller|
|4||—||Dark Entry||John Kachuba||Supernatural Thriller|
|5||3||The Devil Tree II: The Calling||Keith Rommel||Supernatural Thriller|
|6||—||Rated Z: Money Shot||Brahm Stroker||Paranormal Humor|
|7||1||White River Monster||Keith Rommel||Supernatural Thriller|
|8||—||Undead Living||Thomas Malafarina||Horror Short Stories|
|9||—||The Devil’s Grasp||Koscienski & Pisano||Dark Fantasy|
|10||—||Ghost Shadows||Thomas Malafarina||Horror Short Stories|
|ARS METAPHYSICA – Bestsellers for April 2019 (by Revenue)|
|1||1||The Phoenician Code||Karim el Koussa||Metaphysical Fiction|
|2||3||Jesus the Phoenician||Karim el Koussa||Religious History|
|3||—||The Dream Alchemist||Anna-Karin Bjorklund||Metaphysical Travel|
|4||5||Living in the Afterlife||Michele Livingston||Metaphysical|
|5||2||Let Me Carry You Home||Susan Kiskis||Metaphysical Memoir|
|6||—||Pythagoras||Karim el Koussa||Metaphysical Fiction|
|7||—||Born Fire Dragon||Susan Kiskis||Metaphysical Memoir|
|8||10||Messages from Beyond||Michele Livingston||Metaphysical|
|9||6||The Complete Story of the Worldwide Invasion of the Orange Orbs||Terry Ray||Paranormal|
|10||—||Stalked by a Demon||Tess Rutjens||Paranormal|
|BROWN POSEY PRESS – Bestsellers for April 2019 (by Revenue)|
|1||NEW||Rainwalkers||Matt Ritter||Climate Fiction|
|2||—||My Christmas Attic||Dennis Clausen||Literary Fiction|
|3||NEW||Ulysses in San Juan||Robert Friedman||Literary Fiction|
|4||NEW||The Odyssey of Pablo Camino||Robert Friedman||Literary Fiction|
|5||NEW||The Defining Sea||Robert Friedman||Literary Fiction|
|6||1||Seaarching for Roy Buchanan||Tory Gates||YA Science Fiction|
|7||2||You Are Not Alone||Jyssica Schwartz||Abuse Memoir|
|8||3||Whispers in the Alders||H A Callum||Literary Fiction|
|9||5||The Heatstroke Line||Edward Rubin||Climate Fiction|
|10||—||Sacred Sites of Natives of the Southwest||Patricia Waldygo||Art|
|SPECKLED EGG PRESS – Bestsellers for April 2019 (by Revenue)|
|1||1||Dinorific Poetry v 1||Mike Sgrignoli||Juvenile Animals|
|2||2||Dinorific Poetry v 2||Mike Sgrignoli||Juvenile Animals|
|3||3||Dinorific Poetry v 3||Mike Sgrignoli||Juvenile Animals|
|4||—||The Mouse with the Broken Tail||Dan Shutters||Juvenile Adventure|
|5||4||Colors in the Garden the Creator Made||Wendy Latty||Juvenile Christian|
A bookstore will host a launch event for me, how do they get my books?
Bookstores or other venues can order books one of three ways:
- The author consigns the books and takes back any returns. This is preferred if the bookstore does not plan to carry any remaining copies.
- The bookstore can buy from us. Please allow two weeks minimum lead time. They receive a 40% discount and free shipping over $100. They can return unsold copies to us for credit. They place their orders by phoning 1-855-338-8359 x1 or by emailing email@example.com. We will process the order and give them 30 days to pay if we approve their credit. Alternately, they can order directly off the website and use coupon code VC40. They will need to prepay for the order with a credit card.
- The bookstore can order from Ingram. The author and publisher make the least profit from this method, but it is more convenient to the bookstore in most cases.
Also, be sure to check in with us to be sure your local bookstore is on our list.
Q: What kind of sales can I expect from my books? How well do Sunbury Press’ best sellers do?
Keys to success with fiction:
- The author is actively selling books – making appearances at conventions, bookstores, and other events – (as long as the author is not too shy and unable to connect with readers)
- The cover, description, and subject matter align with the book’s categories and quality expectations.
- The author is active on social media on at least one platform.
- The author has a website, is actively promoting themselves as an author, is building a following and an email list
- The author has a presence on Goodreads and Amazon Author Central and uses the features and functions of the sites to their advantage.
- The author is writing a series or the body of work is related in some way.
- The author is releasing new books at least once a year, preferably every six months.
- The author and/or publisher is actively seeking film or television opportunities as well as foreign translation opportunities.
- The publisher has placed the book(s) in the major marketplaces and channels of distribution, has priced the book in alignment with the category, and has produced the book in the demanded product forms (print and ebook at a minimum).
- The book wins a legitimate award or receives significant endorsements or accolades.
- The author is putting out content that entices readers to read the whole book and invites readers into the story
What doesn’t work well for fiction:
- Paid print advertising.
- Paid television or radio advertising.
- Paying a publicist.
- Sending press releases.
- Most SEO-oriented pay-per-click or (worse) pay-per-impression advertising.
- Most Facebook ad boosts. (If the author has a medium to large following, boosts can help)
- Most blog tours. (unless the author finds very relevant blogs and is choosy)
- Most BookBub or other free giveaway campaigns. (we’re still trying to figure out how this might work for our authors, but so far it hasn’t done much)
- Most book signings at Barnes and Noble or other big chain stores.
Q: When will my novel be released?
A: Historically, publishers have a long lead-time from contract signing until the book is released. This is a throw-back from the days of paper manuscripts and snail-mail. Today, things move along much faster.
Sunbury Press does not deal with paper manuscripts. The entire process, from submission, contract signing, to book release is done electronically. We communicate most often through email and public posts on our website. We do this for efficiency and to free our staff to concentrate on editing and getting your books out the door. For fiction, we are also moving to a single point of contact, so you have access to the primary person in charge of your book’s publication. Internally, at Sunbury Press, we work together, but there are no review boards or long review processes to contend with. We’re a small company of professional, hardworking people committed to publishing good books.
We have over 800 fiction manuscript submissions in our queue right now, with more coming in every day. We are working as fast as we can to evaluate and get back to the authors that submit to us. The only way we can hope to better serve all those authors, is to streamline our process. And that is just what we are doing.
Once we take on your novel and the contract has been signed, your book will be released within three months, sometimes even faster depending on the quality of your manuscript and the workload in our queue.
This quick pace might not allow you the time to do all the set up necessary to properly release your book to the world. If you are a new author, you’ll want to setup a new website, Facebook page, get a list of family and friends to help you, etc. So, we recommend that no matter the date that your book is available for purchase, you choose your own Book Announcement date far enough into the future that you have time to prepare. You can think of this as a ‘Soft Opening,’ and ‘Grand Opening’ model. For the Soft Opening, your book is out there selling and available for more reviews. For the Grand Opening, you announce your book with parties, emails, and whatever else you are planning. This lead time also allows you to purchase books (at discount) and have them on hand for your Book Announcement party(s) to sign and/or giveaway.
As an example, your book might be released on April 1st. But you schedule your Book Announcement or Grand Opening on June first. You will have time to work with local bookstores and establishments to plan your party(s), order and get books, make sure you have your website and other pages up and running and your author pages on Amazon and Goodreads ready. In this way, you can maximize the effectiveness of your Book Announcement.
Authors spend a good amount of time slaving over the words, trying to create the best story. But after it’s complete, they are anxious to get it out to the world. We understand! Many of us at Sunbury are also authors. We believe this model will serve authors wants and needs but still give time to give your book the splash you hope for.
One final note, Sunbury Press loves a big splash, just like any publisher. But we prefer the long, slow burn to the quick flash and then burn out. So, plan your big Grand Opening, but also make your plans staggered throughout the year to keep interest flowing and growing your readership. And then write another book! 😉
#bookrelease #bookannouncement #grandopening #longslowburn #welovebooks